Monday, January 21, 2008

Snake Mountain Bluegrass

Saw a great bluegrass band two nights ago and they are playing a benefit tonight in Rutland so may catch them again. I am bundled up in my ski clothes to take a winter hike to keep the weight going down. Its noon and I have a huge blister on my foot so I will have to hike somewhere plowed so I can wear my sneakers instead of the blister boots. Got an inquiry on renting my home for 3 mos this summer. $1500 PM. If it goes through I will be heading out west or staying with friends. Either way I get a vacation from Killington.

About the band........
Middlebury College teacher, Gregg Humphrey, and Middlebury construction company owner, Mike Connor, formed Snake Mountain Bluegrass about twenty years ago. At the time, both Gregg (guitar and vocals) and Mike (banjo and vocals) were living near Snake Mountain and someone asked them what style of bluegrass they played. “Snake Mountain Bluegrass,” was their immediate response and the name had been theirs ever since.
In 1986 they recorded their first album and used the talents of local musician and recording studio technician,
Mike Boise to master the project and play bass on some of the cuts. Mike Boise (bass guitar and vocals) now is a member of the group and operates Boise Audio & Recording Studio in Brandon.
Earle Provin was originally brought in to do mandolin tracks for the new CD. After witnessing the 16 hours of abuse Earle endured in the studio, Gregg took pity on him and asked him to join the band. Earle is also a graphic artist and did the cover art for the new CD.
They have recently released a CD, ‘Bout Time, which features their unique blend of bluegrass music and tight harmony singing. The band uses both a traditional and more modern approach to the bluegrass style, from hard driving “breakdowns” to softer, folk-type arrangements.

No comments: