Friday, February 1, 2008

My Friend Joy Is Dying



Written by Matt Prebluda
Joy
Joy, the love of my life is dying. We split up a year ago November. We were to be married on July 7th last summer. 07/07/07. Kind of corny, but Joy was. I loved that.
Joy has suffered from Bechet's syndrome since she was in her 20's. She's 46 now. She's been completely blind for nine years now.
We were complete opposites. She, although very intelligent , was quite unsophisticated. Tough, street wise, into eighties hair rock, Italian, Catholic, poor, etc.
We met in Utica at a pub. My favorite band, the Asylum Spankers were playing. She had heard of them on the Bob and Tom Show, a sophomoric shock rock morning show that featured some of their more vulgar, but clever songs.
Me, who had at the time had never picked up a woman at a bar in my life, sat next to her and started talking to her. As usual, "dead from the neck up", did not realize she was blind for several minutes.
It was love at the first sight for both of us. We spent the night together. She moved in with me later that year in Vermont.
Joy 's health is deteriorating fast. I still admire her strength and determination. In the past month she has lost most of her circle of support, victims of suicide, drug abuse, leaving, and not caring.
We talk almost every night these days. Actually I mostly listen.
I will miss her. I hurt very much.
I Love you Joy.

I met Joy withe her seeing eye dog and it was also love at first sight. We clicked, both having disabilities. Mine was flaring, hers was calmer as she was in love with Matt. They were very happy but their differences got in the way of Love. How sad because now she has noone. She is in Utica NY and he in Boston. I will get her number and call her everyday too. FRIENDS are what is important. Friends in need.
I love you Joy Very Much.
Suzie

No comments: