Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Am Suzie, An Alcoholic Trying To Recover

From "The Three Legacies of Alcoholics Anonymous":

"In the first years, those of us who sobered up in A.A. had been grim and utterly hopeless cases, almost without exception. But now younger folks began to appear. Lots of people turned up who still had jobs and homes and health and even good social standing. These in their turn were able to persuade others like themselves of the need for A.A. Of course it was necessary for these types of newcomers to hit bottom emotionally. But we found they did not have to hit every possible bottom there was in order to admit that they were licked.… When one of these mild cases arrived at the conviction that he already had the principal symptoms of alcoholism that was usually enough. He 'hit bottom' then and there and so was spared years of anguish."
© 2001 AAWS, Inc.; Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, pg. 199
***************************************

I find myself attempting to have a drink in order to feel like my old drinking self but each time I try it fails. I feel sick to my stomach.
This shows the allergy aspect of alcohol. People have many addictions not only alcohol. It is when the addiction is controlling you that you have to take a long, hard look at it. I'm guilty of loving coffee. But still I find it less dangerous than other addictions. I keep alcohol in my home to prove I have the strength to resist it. It's kinda fun.
Tsunami

No comments: