Sunday, June 17, 2007

Tit For Tat

This For That?
Definition: Tit for tat is a highly effective strategy in game theory for the iterated prisoner's dilemma. Based on the English saying meaning "equivalent retaliation" ("tit for tat"), an agent using this strategy will initially cooperate, then respond in kind to an opponent's previous action. If the opponent previously was cooperative, the agent is cooperative. If not, the agent is not.
Both tit and tat are archaic words meaning 'a light blow'. The entire expression thus means 'a blow for a blow', like 'an eye for an eye'.
The act of retaliating, revenge, vengeance, being vindictive.
This is a common relationship tactic that I absolutely abhor. In other words "If you did or If I thought you did that....I will do this." Sometimes married people do this. Sometimes couples do this. Sometimes just people. It is certainly very childish and reactive. Builds hostility not love.
I've always hated it so I thought I would define it. It's sort of competitive. Or you could look at it this way....
Also known as “YOU SCRATCH MY BACK AND I’LL SCRATCH YOURS”, cooperation and mutual altruism is what keeps our species from self-destructing. In this way it seems to look positive but...I still don't like it. I mean if you help someone maybe they help you back. Hopefully a light goes on in their heads. That's good. But keeping score is not. I found my ex-husband and I doing that. I'm sure I've done it but ultimately it really sucks. The behavior.
Matatma Grumpy

No comments: