Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Living With A Paranoid Schizophrenic

My roommate is a Paranoid Schizophrenic. Or so they say. I watched this movie as he was taken back into the hospital after making a lame threat to rob a bank to get money to pay rent here to help me. He was frustrated as he has canadian stocks he cannot access w/out $350canadian. I went to the medical center and interviewed him last night like a reporter to help type up a letter for social security disability. He is 59 and cannot hold a job because his mind got fucked way back. His father was a drunk wino and his mother beat him from preschool age until he was too big. His father was a conscientious objector and worked in a bank. His father did not want him to fight in the war in Vietnam so he had Victor evaluated by a psychiatrist and declared mad. They did electrochemical shock treatments and gave him two drugs one being thorazine. There was probably nothing wrong with him before they did this. It went on for a long time. His mind became disturbed in the 60's (He was born in 48). They had him declared unfit to fight and his father made sure he was drugged up. He worked many high functioning electronics and dept of defense jobs requiring both high mental and physical expertise. He says he got blackballed for being a whistleblower at a company and lost references he dearly needed to get work. It all started tumbling down. Now he is living with me when not in the hospital. He works very hard here and can drive me a bit nuts but all in all is a sweet person. I taught him things and am teaching him to live in The Present and not be scared. He always says I love you when we talk on the phone. He hasn't been loved for a long time. I love him as a dear friend. When and if he comes home hopefully he will be able to pay rent so we can have food. I am going to type up his life story today and send it on. He is physically able to work but not mentally. This is where there may be a problem. Disability will go to any lengths not to pay. I hope I can help.
Snowstorm

No comments: